Athletic Program Soars with Construction of Cedar Crest College’s FalconPlex
The Fall 2017 sports season ushered in a new era for athletics at Cedar Crest College in Allentown, PA, with the opening of the FalconPlex, a state-of-the art sports complex. The ambitious project, managed by Skepton Construction, provides ample room for athletes and fans to enjoy the College’s full roster of sports year-round; and use by other athletic programs in the region.
By the Numbers: Project Specs
- Work on the FalconPlex started in May 2017, and was completed in December 2017.
- Weather posed a challenge to construction, with the summer of 2017 being one of the rainiest in years. Despite weather delays, Skepton Construction was able to complete the turf in time for the 2017 Fall sports season.
- Skepton managed the construction of a ~4,000 sq.ft. Concrete Plaza, a ~4,600 sq.ft. Field House and an NCAA Competition Multi-Sport Artificial Turf Field.
An aerial view of the existing athletic fields at Cedar Crest College prior to the start of construction of the FalconPlex.
A State-of-the-Art Complex
The FalconPlex takes the athletic program at Cedar Crest College to a new level with Skepton’s construction of a multi-structured complex complete with modern amenities for athletes and spectators. The FalconPlex can accommodate tournaments, games, and events year-round with:
- An NCAA Competition Artificial Turf Field for women’s soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse; and men’s lacrosse.
- A Field House complete with Press Box for full coverage of Cedar Crest College’s games, a VIP Viewing Suite for special guests, four separate Players’ Locker Rooms, an Athletic Trainer’s Facility, a Coaches’/Referees’ Locker Room, a Concession Stand, and a Public Restroom.
- A Concrete Plaza for special events, tailgating activities, and additional space for watching games and events.
Cedar Crest College’s FalconPlex features an NCAA Competition Artificial Turf Field. Despite weather delays, Skepton Construction completed the turf in time for the Fall 2017 sports season.
The completed Field House – Plaza/Field Level view.
The completed Field House – Rear/Lower Level view.
By Community, For Community
Construction of the FalconPlex was a community effort. Skepton Construction, acting as the Owner’s Representative, served as Construction Manager for the project. The Artificial Turf Field and Concrete Plaza were funded by a $1 million grant from Pennsylvania’s Redevelopment Capital Assistance Program, with the College matching the funds. The City of Allentown partnered with the College as the grant sponsor to ensure completion of the multi-sport complex that will benefit Cedar Crest College as well as the entire community.
Transforming the fields from grass to artificial turf makes them usable by multiple sports year-round.
Skepton Construction, Inc. was the Construction Manager on this project.
The FalconPlex’s NCAA Competition Artificial Turf Field was constructed to accommodate multiple sports including women’s soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse; and men’s lacrosse.
Spectator’s view of Cedar Crest College’s new NCAA Competition Artificial Turf Field.
Plaza view of the concession stand and public restroom in the field house.
Entrance view of one of the locker rooms.
Exiting view of one of the locker rooms.